What To Do Now to Detect Click Fraud
Here's how to prepare yourself to be able to detect click fraud and potentially get a refund from Google or Overture:
- Track your conversion rate. Don't just use the Google and Overture tools. Find a unified way to track both conversions from all ad networks, outside of the Google or Overture system.
- Log everything. Capture referrers, user-agents, cookies, etc.
- Save everything. Save all your old logs and monthly reports from the ad networks
- Log a user or session cookie to each web server log line.
- Log numeric IP address. Don't use DNS lookup to insert the name into your log file.
- Add tags to your destination URLs - especially on Google! You need to include the keyword and other relevant details. This topic alone deserves a whole post.
- Graph conversion rate against clicks from Google / Overture.
That's a start - you certainly need to keep good records and all your clickstream data.