ESPN has Ruined Monday Night Football
I was psyched when ESPN got Monday Night Football. I get ESPN in HD, and I thought it would be great.
Of course it sucks.
Basically they've sold out the game to commercialism - primarily cross-promoting ABC shows. The whole thing reeks of an 'event experience.' It's like they chose the producer of the Super Bowl halftime show to produce the whole damn game.
Here are the most annoying aspects:
- Tony Kornheiser and Mike Tirico can't stop blathering about ANYTHING BUT FOOTBALL.
- Suzy Kolber and Michele Tafoya. (see above)
- The player intros where some teammate gives us the nicknames of all the players.
- Do we need a soundtrack from Kid Rock and J.Lo or Pink or someone for each show.
- The booth visit from some famous person, usually someone appearing on Dancing with the Stars this season.
- Chris Berman's halftime act is just tiresome.
- The lack of replays.
- Pre-taped interviews / video segments that overrun actual plays.
Overall, I still look forward to the game, but the MNF production emphasizes everything BUT the game.
Labels: football, randomness